Getting past a serious or chronic illness can seem like a daunting or even impossible task. When you are home alone with your thoughts, aches and pains the world can seem like a lonely place. Here are six tips that will help you with your symptoms and hasten healing.
1. Your environment should be as free as possible from stress causing factors. Anything that induces anxiety including newspapers, violent films, the news on TV and negative people is not conducive to healing. Surround yourself with positive people, watch comedies, play with your children or pets, whatever makes you smile. Tell people close to that you only want to talk about upbeat things whilst you are recovering. This may involve rather uncomfortable talks with close ones but they will understand if they want you to get well.
2. Take some control back by accepting responsibility for your recovery. Becoming involved in your healing is empowering, no one cares as much about you as you do.
3. Understand that your mind heavily influences the speed of your healing. Your thoughts are felt in your body. Negative thoughts activate stress associated hormones that weaken your immune system and slow down healing. Positive thoughts generate growth hormones that hasten healing and improve wellbeing.
4. Take more time to relax because the body only recovers when it’s relaxed. Learn to meditate, take up yoga or get a hypnotherapist to teach you self hypnosis. Listen to your body and don’t try to work through an illness, it will only worsen your syptoms.
5. Reflect on your past and see if it may be involved in getting you into this situation. Then plan for a different future that involves happiness and calm. In quiet moments close your eyes and imagine how you would look and how you would feel in detail in your new life free of illness and stress.
6. Ignore anyone, including doctors who tell you that you will have to just accept your fate. Your body has been healing you since you were born from colds, flu, viruses, broken bones, cuts, bruises even killing cancer cells. It knows what to do so trust it by supplying it with good nutrition, positive thoughts and a healing environment.